This is a simple website.
You go to the url you want (i.e. redacted.work/WHATEVER-YOU-WANT, e.g. redacted.work/kindness
You click on [
in the title and choose a password.
You add the sections you want.
You fill in each section with whatever you want.
And that's it.
If you have any questions, take a look at the FAQ section
- Dream/nightmare that later lead to actual
concept (see FAQ
- Concept is given a second thought over a beer or five.
- Design and implementation begins.
- redacted.work domain bought for the cost of a beer.
- Server is sat up and first alpha version goes live.
- Second alpha version goes live.
- Significant security improvements added and
is now consindered in beta.
- Additional updates of basic functionality.
- Main pages (Welcome
, etc.) made "final".
- First official promotion of
- HTTPS (encryption) support attempted implemented. Failed (miserably) and abandoned for the time being.
- Officiel, original
title/logo created (in prepation for cross-platform support).
- Mobile support implemented - and promoted.
- Change password feature added.
Twitter account created.
- Change section order feature added.
up and running again after months of downtime.
- HTTPS support added.
- Mobile page editing layout fixed.
added (kinda; it's really more of a GDPR joke).
A simplistic place where you can claim your own page and tell a story, or do whatever else you feel like, through your sections.
How do I create my own
You simply go to redacted.work/WHATEVER-YOU-WANT (e.g. redacted.work/creative
) to claim that url. If you need inspiration, take a look at the inspiration section
How do I log in?
You click on [
in the title at the top of your page or the page you want. Then you type your password or the password you want, followed by [Enter].
[ work on mobile?
Yes, at least if you're using Chrome for mobile.
hasn't been tested on any other mobile browsers.
How do I add anything other than just text to my sections?
You can't. You can however style your text using Ctrl+B for bold
text, Ctrl+I for italic
text, and Ctrl+U for underlined
How do I make clickable links?
Prefix your links with http:// or https:// and they will automatically be made clickable.
What do I do if I forget my password?
There's nothing you can do to regain a
page that you have forgotten the password for. This is directly due to the anonymous fundamental principles of
. You have to create new page and copy your sections to that page. Sorry about that.
What happens to a page with no sections?
A page with no sections is treated the same as a page that hasn't been claimed yet. Anyone can claim it. However, for newly claimed pages (left empty) there is a waiting period of 48 hour before someone else can claim the page; after that, it's fair game.
How do I delete my
You do so by simply deleting all sections, thereby leaving the page empty and free to be claimed by someone else.
[ pages are slow - what's up with that?
Sorry about that. Currently
is hosted by a free host - and not an entirely reliable one for that. So from time to time
experiences smaller periods of unstability or down time. We are working on finding a better host, so if you know anyone, let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org
Someone else have the URL I want - how I steal it from them?
You are a terrible human being; get your own page! Even so: You can try to convince them to delete all their sections, which then allows you to claim their URL for yourself (to "steal" it). Otherwise you might perhaps start by trying the password "1234" and if that works, the owner doesn't deserve the url (side note: every single beta test page is created using the password "1234" - and it is not
frowned upon to steal these pages).
I fucked up and deleted a section that I wanted to keep; what do I do to get it back?
I'm sincerely sorry; you can't get it back. It's gone. If you are very lucky, Google might have a cached copy - but it is a long shot.
How do I contact the owner of a
You can't. We can't either.
Wait, it sounds like you don't know who your users are. What exactly is
Why this name?
Mainly because redacted.inc was not available due to the .inc top-level domain (TLD) still not having been approved. Also because the .work TLD is extremely cheap (5 USD/year). As for the "redacted" part, see the later answer to "How did
How do I report a bug or suggest a feature?
Head over to the Bugs/Features section
and submit your suggestion at the bottom of the page.
How many people are working on
Currently only one person is working on maintaining
- and this only a couple of times a month (mostly after having had a few beers or a bottle of wine - or both). This is how
was initially created and how it will continue to be maintained.
Honestly? The initial start for
was a combination of two things:
1) A dream/nightmare about a dystopian future where you, by the click of button, can take the life of anyone in the world - instantly and anonymously. The price for such a "redaction" started at 1 USD for the first user of the service and the price then increased by 1 USD every time anyone used the service - thereby gradually over time making fewer and fewer people people able to afford the service, while at the same time having already made an interesting impact on society and the level of trust between people - especially those who had someone close to them "redacted". Over the years, the service, while still in theory available (even if almost no one can afford it), becomes an urban legend - life goes on.
2) An alcohol-infused evening, trying to tell this dystopian story through the website that provides the "redaction" service. This attempt ended up creating a generic content sharing website instead.
The initial idea is currently being attempted documented at redacted.work/inc
in the format it was originally envisioned.
I still don't get it?
Let me put it like this - there is not much to get. Think of your favorite word or phrase. Go to redacted.work/WHATEVER-YOU-WANT (e.g. redacted.work/bamf
). Follow the instructions and do whatever you want. That's it. That's all.
Do you have a question not answered here? Send your question to email@example.com
and someone will get back to you.